The glamour of riding an elephant has long been touted as the end-all be-all experience of a lifetime, especially one for the bucket list while on holiday. The reality, for our elephants, is far from joy, in fact, it is one of their biggest nightmares. Please, stand up for our elephants & just don’t do it. Here’s why.
Narrator: “Riding an elephant in India might be your dream but it is an elephant’s worse nightmare. Have you ever stopped to think how an elephant is made rideable?”
“Elephant calves are forged from the wild and torn away from their families then tortured to break their spirit. This cruelty continues through the rest of their lives.”
“In tourist areas like Jaipur they are forced to carry heavy back-breaking loads and made to walk on scorching hot pavements whether they are injured, blind or old and are beaten when they do not comply.”
“Are you really okay with them suffering for a lifetime just so that you can get that perfect Instagram picture?”
“Join Wildlife SOS (3) in a commitment to end tourist elephant riding in India.”
“According to the Animal Welfare Board of India (2018) evaluation in Jaipur:
- There are currently 103 captive elephants in the city
- Nearly 20% elephants were observed to be blind.
- 10 elephants tested positive for TB, which is a public health risk.
- More than 30% elephants are above the age of 50.
- Tusks of 45% of the elephants were illegally cut for the ivory trade.
- The weight limits to give joyrides were violated by all elephant keepers.
- All elephants suffer from foot conditions”
“Here is how you can help:
- Never ride an elephant
- Sign our Refuse to Ride campaign petition
- Visit elephants responsibly at the Wildlife SOS Elephant Conservation & Care Center in Mathura”
“Thank you for caring about elephants! Please share this video and help us spread the message. Join the herd!” www.wildlifesos.org
Donate to Wildlife SOS (2)
Wildlife SOS India (3)
Transcribed & images from cc video ’Refuse to Ride Elephants!’ by Wildlife SOS, full copyright belongs to Wildlife SOS, India (1)
(1) https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=FkT3y-_y_6w Creative Commons video by Wildlife SOS, ’Refuse to Ride Elephants!’
Elephant Spoken Here Facebook
Elephant Spoken Here twitter @ESHelephants