What Makes This Sweet Elephant Unique: This little elephant is a very rare albino. As an albino elephant her skin is especially sensitive to sunlight.
To compensate, Khanyisa has been known to find the best sunshade underneath the larger elephants or at least beside them to block out the intensity of the sun! Her carer, named Godknows, sports a giant umbrella to unfurl, at a moments notice, for his little charge. Khanyisa has got the best of both worlds. Smart little elephant! (2) (7) (8)
Ongoing Medical Treatment: A healing ‘stem cell treatment’ balm, applied to Khanyisa’s lesions, helped her physical wounds heal. Her ‘emotional wounds’ have been soothed by the love and attention the little elephant has received from Adine, her human carers & her new elephant family at HERD. (6)
How Baby Elephant is Adjusting to New Elephant Family at HERD Elephant Orphanage South Africa: On her first full day at HERD (Thursday, 9 January 2020) the orphaned elephant wasted no time in greeting (behind a dividing fence) her ‘future family’, the Jabulani Herd . In time she was integrated and accepted into her new elephant family as if she was one of her own. (8)
Baby Elephant’s Personality Traits: “She showed a great love of water from the very beginning.” (9) A survivor. “Such a strong and playful little spirit.” “The bigger and better she gets the more playful she gets.” Her confidence grows with her size! (8)
Baby Elephant’s Favorite Things: In her early days at the elephant orphanage the calf discovered an innertube that was almost as big as she was! And what fun she had just rolling around with it. Sloughing around a mud tower (baby elephant sized) was also super fun! (8)
Baby Elephant’s New Friends: ‘Lammie the Legend’ (5) is a pal, allomother, companion and calming presence (7) in the little elephant’s life.
Oh Look at Her Now!
Foster /Adopt This Sweet Elephant (2)
Images: screen shot Khanyisa feeds herself milk! (FB post sat 16 July 2022) (11); from ‘Baby albino elephant rescued in SAfrica reserve’ by AP Archive YT CH (Feb 19, 2020) (3); from ‘Unseen Footage of Four Month Old Albino Elephant, Khanyisa & Her Blue Eyes’ (10); Khanyisa with her new Jabulani herd & Khanyisa with carer Godknows, shielding her with parasol from the sun from CC YT HERD, ‘Seven Weeks of caring for Albino Baby Elephant, Khanyisa at HERD’ (8)
(1) HERD (Hoedspruit Elephant Rehabilitation and Development) ELEPHANT ORPHANAGE, South Africa https://herd.org.za
(3) https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=Pe7S0G2c6vI ‘Baby albino elephant rescued in SAfrica reserve’ by AP Archive YT CH (Feb 19, 2020)
(4) Care for Wild Rhino Sanctuary in Mpumalanga, South Africa https://careforwild.co.za
(8) https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=WkbAgP7t5js cc YT HERD ‘Seven Weeks of caring for Albino Baby Elephant, Khanyisa at HERD’
(9) https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=rbxDbVFP8gQ Cute Unseen Footage of Baby Albino Elephant Orphan, Khanyisa & Her Blanket Change! (see also “Meet Little Ele Khanyisa the Brave, Rescued By HERD Elephant Orphanage, South Africa: A More Action, Less Talk Video!”
(10) https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=6_eRQ2J82SU ‘Unseen Footage of Four Month Old Albino Elephant, Khanyisa & Her Blue Eyes’
(11) https://www.facebook.com/HERDElephantsSA/videos/776469490192992/ Khanyisa feeds herself milk! (FB post sat 16 July 2022)
(12) https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=Sg3tSHzPhkE “A Baby Elephant’s Journey of Healing from Snare Victim to Survivor” cc YT HERD CH Aug 31 2021 19:40
Elephant Spoken Here Facebook
Elephant Spoken Here twitter @ESHelephants